Niall Cherry was born in London in 1959 and recalls becoming interested in military history as a schoolboy from watching such classic war films as 'The Battle of Britain' and 'A Bridge Too Far'. He later found out that one of his grandfathers fought in the Great War, serving as a chemical corporal at Loos in 1915 and ended up as a Captain. His father served in the REME in the 1950's and Niall continued in the family tradition by serving in the RAMC. During his time he qualified as a Combat Medical Technician Class 1 and an instructor in First Aid and Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Warfare and ended as a Senior NCO. Deeply interested in the major conflicts of the 20th Century he has visited numerous battlefields including the Western Front, Arnhem, Gallipoli, Normandy and North Africa. He is a longstanding member of the Western Front Association, the Military Heraldry Society and 23/144 Parachute Field Ambulance Old Comrades Association. He also has the honour to be the secretary of the Arnhem 1944 Veterans’ Club and secretary and a trustee of the Arnhem 1944 Fellowship. He also has for many years taken groups around various battlefields as a tour guide.
- Doomed Before the Start The Allied Intervention in Norway 1940 Volume 1 : The Road to Invasion and Early Moves Author
- Doomed Before the Start The Allied Intervention in Norway 1940 Volume 2 : Evacuation and Further Naval Operations Author
- You'll Be Hearing from Us! : Operation Anthropoid - The Assassination of SS-Obergruppenfuehrer Reinhard Heydrich and its Consequences Author
- Tunisian Tales : The 1st Parachute Brigade in North Africa 1942-43 Author
- Striking Back : Britain's Airborne & Commando Raids 1940-42 Author
- Most Unfavourable Ground : The Battle of Loos, 1915 Author