Laurence Spring studied at the Universities of London and Aberystwyth. He is also a qualified archivist, and has worked for many years at the Surrey History Centre. He has researched the early seventeenth century for many years and has written on various aspects of the English Civil War, including the Campaigns of Sir William Waller and the armies of Sir William Waller and the Earl of Manchester. He has also written many books on the Russian Army during the Napoleonic Wars. Since he has an archival background he prefers to search through archives looking for various interesting facts for his books, rather than relying on printed sources, which give a vivid insight to the subject and not mentioned in secondary sources. Using this method he has found evidence that contradicts the established ‘facts’ on a subject. This is the second book he has published with Helion, the first being The First British Army, the army of the Duke of Buckingham, 1624-1628 which was published in 2016.
- The Bavarian Army During the Thirty Years War 1618-1648 (Revised Second Edition) : The Backbone of the Catholic League Author
- The Armies of Sir Ralph Hopton : The Royalist Armies of the West 1642-46 Author
- The Campaigns of Sir William Waller, 1642-1645 Author
- In the Emperor's Service : Wallenstein's Army, 1625-1634 Author
- The Battle of the White Mountain 1620 and the Bohemian Revolt 1618-1622 Author
- The First British Army 1624-1628 : The Army of the Duke Of Buckingham Author